For direct information, you can read the policy HERE and view the fee schedule HERE.
- *All non-students will now be required to register with Campus Rec. in order to partake in any sport-club related activities.
- *In addition to fees paid to the club, UNB Campus Rec. will charge an additional $50/term (or $100/year) to access the building.
- *A daily drop-in rate of $10 is available to access the building, again in addition to whatever the climbing club charges.
- *UNB is unwilling to make concessions to waive the new fee for volunteers who dedicate their time to running the climbing club.
- *UNB intends to install a controlled access point at the front door of the L.B. Gym to enforce this new policy.
- *The date this is to take effective is Sept. 1st, 2011... although we've been told it will be delayed until later in September.
These new fees will not give community members any benefits other than to simply maintain the right to enter the L.B. gym as they always have.
Although it appears to us as if these changes are a certainty; the club nevertheless outlined their concerns to the University. In recent years, almost 1/2 of our club's volunteers have been members of the general Fredericton community. They give up their time to keep the wall open nightly, they run Rock / Ice schools, and they make possible our competitions. Providing a disincentive to these volunteers will no doubt impact the opportunities available to students who want to enjoy climbing. This policy will unfortunately hurt those who it intends to help.
It's our hope that the members of the general community who have made the club what it is will continue to do so. Please understand that the climbing club opposes this change. We certainly hope to see you all back for another year. Cheers.
President - UNB Rock & Ice